5.5. Exercises: Objects and Classes, Part 2¶
Work on these exercises in the IntelliJ
You will update your
Student.java file by implementing the
getGradeLevel methods that were sketched out in the
Instance Methods section.
This method returns the student’s level based on the number of credits they have earned: Freshman (0-29 credits), Sophomore (30-59 credits), Junior (60-89 credits), or Senior (90+ credits).
This method accepts two parameters—a number of course credits and a numerical grade (0.0-4.0). With this data, you need to update the student’s GPA.
184.108.40.206. GPA Information¶
GPA is computed via the formula:
gpa = (total quality score) / (total number of credits)
- The quality score for a class is found by multiplying the letter grade score (0.0-4.0) by the number of credits.
- The total quality score is the sum of the quality scores for all classes.
For example, if a student received an “A” (worth 4 points) in a 3-credit course and a “B” (worth 3 points) in a 4-credit course, their total quality score would be: 4.0 * 3 + 3.0 * 4 = 24. Their GPA would then be 24 / 7 = 3.43.
220.127.116.11. Determine the New GPA¶
To update the student’s GPA:
- Calculate their current total quality score by using the formula
gpa * numberOfCredits.
- Use the new course grade and course credits to update their total quality score.
- Update the student’s total
- Compute their new GPA.